The ECG Laputa project provides learning, teaching, research and testing support for a test-driven active risk-reducing ontology. It takes up one of the tertiary purposes of living ontology, the testing of mobile augmented reality assumptions and their integration with just-in-time learning. Geeks may think of it as twelve levers applied to Googles HUD, or as an ecologically and socially sensitive collective intelligence for flash mobs.
It applies prior ECG project outputs (tech tree and issue/position/argument microformats, wiki best practice and open politics in force mediation and consensus methods) to working real-world projects, absorbing the working vocabulary of the problem domains involved. As categories. doctrines and living ontology patterns evolve to reflect the abstractions assumed (not usually explicitly stated) in these domains, they should be absorbed in trollish.
Where Brobdingnag concerned itself with political party and other faction issues, Laputa stresses more the problem of implicit assumptions built into language: the framing problem. Where an ethical or operational decision outcome is biased due to poor choice of terms, Laputa's categories and tests should make the framing of that decision less wrong, if not correct. Any game or economic simulation that applies these categories would advance the goal much.
 Origin of name
In Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels  the flying island of Laputa is a kingdom devoted to the arts of music and mathematics but unable to use them for practical ends. ("La puta" is Spanish for "the whore;"). They throw rocks from above at rebellious surface cities, seemingly the first time that aerial bombardment was conceived as a method of warfare. Blind pursuit of science without practical results, excess bureaucracy especially in science and bad or pointless experiments, cargo cults, etc. are satirized. Great resources and manpower are employed on researching completely preposterous and unnecessary schemes such as extracting sunbeams from cucumbers, softening marble for use in pillows, learning how to mix paint by smell, and uncovering political conspiracies by examining the excrement of suspicious persons. Essentially the disguise of nonsense with rational terms or claims is explored in depth.
Like Gulliver in Swift's Laputa, the user of ECG's Laputa outputs should find it simpler to discern well-designed experiments from those serving an agenda, to identify unjustifiable claims or conflicted claimants, avoid any implication that persons with titles or roles have any expertise or skills (see all sysops are trolls), and be particularly suspicious of fulltime staff. Unpopular views that lack any credible disproof should be particularly interesting to the user, once they are aware of the tendency (per Jay Forrester, see twelve levers) of the educated to resist paradigm shifts or mindset changes that would render their credentials obsolete.
 From operational to ethical distinctions
To learn living ontology through Laputa should be easier than any other way. By introducing living ontology by way of describing physical structures, formal systems and basic biological processes, notably in the autonomous building, resilient community and self-healing watershed efforts that open source ecology and smart grid efforts pursue, effectiveness in these processes should marginally but measurably improve. Use of trollish may also spread as its operational distinctions become more nuanced and exact, especially in infra trades. A definition of sharing water. For instance, searches on this topic should yield more and more answers in embodied peer/trust/power terms such as this. Wildly abusive water unorder (lack of sharing, treating water as worthless) should emerge, changing reporting of events like CPP investments in Tar Sands investment or regulation.
The simplest explanations of living ontology emphasize the bottom-up way its operational distinctions are formed. So far these have mostly developed theory, e.g. open politics in force, and doctrines, e.g. doctrine:OPIF. A doctrine:initiative could then develop to lead to due processing, the major breakthrough that leads to sentient econometrics, permanent class action suits and Houyhnhnm , final phase of ECG's mandated mission. After that, entropy analogs to biological, social, economic and moral systems should all show an improved performance for adherence to living ontology as it develops to consider these issues. At that point, trollish may provide more effective ethical distinctions than English. A definition of food unorder should emerge to favour stillsuit and permaculture norms. For instance, toilet to tap systems should be admired, and eat shit become an admonishment something like eat your own dog food encouraging the tightest possible accountable feedback.
In practice 2012-2016, Laputa should aid in building very local infrastructure engaging citizens and their communities in situational awareness in vulnerable communities. It does so by applying enactivist principles directly to social capital substitution. A major purpose of Laputa is to apply living ontology to worn technologies, especially those used in mobile revolutions. The Occupy movement, with unique problems of intentional community defense, may assist in this. Also anti-fracking, slow and local food and farmers' market promotion have some obvious synergies. Enemies like factory farms should find their resistance better organized and politically aware.
Laputa maps needs of vulnerable populations with resilience economics and met with an active risk-reducing ontology. Typical incident-driven command and control systems often do not address these populations' needs directly and all too often create problems by failing to differentiate unorder situations.
For instance, there may be local trust problems, e.g. in Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq, indigenous communities in North America. Also there are situations where command and control systems fail (e.g., Katrina, mental health response to the 2004 Hurricanes in Florida, Indian Ocean Basin Tsunami, South Carolina Ricin incident).
See entropy for a complete discussion of how one may measure unorder in various fields. The term unorder is preferred for not having any implication of comparison to laws of thermodynamics.
 mapping and integrating terms
- by US NDRCI, Laputa addresses the Psychosocial Dimensions of Biosecurity Preparedness and Response by accelerating (but not automating) the formation of resilience networks.
- by UN ICLEI, Laputa supports resilient community by forming community emergency response teams and Triple Bottom Line.
- by ECG, Laputa prioritizes action using twelve levers and the five ins, based on a capital asset model recommended by resilience economics.
- by Consumerium/OpenLabel, Laputa devalues specific options using the price premium or red/yellow/green approach, based on QR or barcodes or potentially RFID; See healthy signal infrastructure for details.
- by ILSR.org, Laputa characterizes community banking, democratic energy, hometown advantage, municipal broadband, micro-grid , waste to wealth (Sustainable Plastics andbiomaterials, zero waste economic development, e.g. zero e-waste)
To reduce shared risk of bodily harm, Laputa restricts initiative/integrate/infer operations carefully to ensure that local autonomy and authority, for instance, is surrendered only in specific situations with extremely clear conditions. Rather than subverting, it accelerates due process, a concept called due processing.
Theoretical concepts central to Laputa are: social networks used for providing citizens and their communities with prospective best practices, situational awareness via mobile augmented reality and shared sense systems with multi-ontology sense-making, coordinated focus on mission critical gaps and realtime recruitment of leaders who recognize unorder and can quickly find solvable problems to defer to managers, ability of citizens to swarm to anticipate and address small and large-scale social crises. Related projects include ABIDE, Cynefin, LAOS, SIOC and Living Agenda.
Most living ontology patterns will be refined somehow through Laputa's progress. By 2012 the Living Ontology Web should be widely expanded and proving to be the most useful part of the sociosemantic web and the real web 3.0. Many democratic domains will be implemented also (see below).
 testing by doing
Test timelines for Laputa are tenative and will follow roughly the following path 2007-2012. For more detail see eg:do which outlines some specific deliverables.
- expand Living Ontology Web and mass peer review of ECG dogma and all all doctrines relevant to it or coincident with it, e.g. ECG naming conventions, mass peer review, Better URI Axioms, epistemic filters, GROOP, Crocker's Rules, open politics in force and quality management in government; reconcile terminology with extant papers on semantic e-government and competing core mapping terminology
- develop curricula for the infra trades that aid in reconstruction, starting with signal infrastructure and its provisioning and sysopping - the crash courses are examples
- teach the infra trades using OLAT or some similar framework with the approximately correct FOSS licensing and open content data compatibility; further developing wiki best practices
- reconcile terms used in various branches of resilience economics, multi-ontology sense-making, enactivist, biosecurity, sustainable development theory, participatory democracy and anticipatory democracy
- improve the verb:namespace and descriptions of the wiki protocol that supports collaboration directly, and deliberative structure based on the (low overhead) Living Agenda protocol and (high overhead) political party position protocol, augmented by mobile augmented reality source relevance methods
- publish on resilience economics, social logic, unorder and unthought, mistrust into distrust, distrust as due processing so as to perfect codification of instructional capital and social capital; better coordinate this with value creation, value of life ratio, natural capital and other sustainable development theory and publish Ed vs. Ing; then find other avenues to publicize work category:CC-by-nc-noderivs by ECG
- predict service science approaches for the very personal computer to minimize its impact and ensure that healthy telecom and democratic domains prevail at least for teen users of the real web 3.0
- apply revenue science approaches to monetize most of the above research
 turning mistrust into distrust
The institutional goals to develop due processing include:
- bootstrap a healthy signal infrastructure using only category:infra
- form an educational institution specifically focused on the above processes which can govern reflexively and eventually govern ultra-reflexively - see learn governance and category:ultra and verb:govern for detail.
- pioneer actual applications of semantic wiki in e-government, not just theory such as SWEG tracks at Karlsruhe; better integrate service configuration with the theory of open configuration
- defeat competing approaches with extremely sophisticated politics as usual led by the sociosemantic web enabled applications built on Living Ontology Web
- e.g. setting up open faction forums like nb.referata.com scoring high in open politics in force
- employing voteswap.ca and other vote swap and electoral reform methods to recruit the frustrated voter at all levels of government into a force to pursue objectives of Houyhnhnm (to transform governance in ultra-reflexive directions and equalize opportunity via sentient econometrics, permanent class action suits and the try/can/may/be realization.